Friday, February 25, 2011

Frustrated!!!

Should my taxes support something, I then have to pay to use???

Woodland Park wants to open an aquatic center. I get it. They want to raise our property and sales taxes to accomplish this and then still charge us a membership to use it.

Honestly I feel that the city officials are acting like children, they want something and can't afford it so we pay for it and then pay again to use it!!! If we can't afford something of this scale, then maybe we don't need it.

I'm a parent and it would be great to have a pool, but they are not just asking for a pool they want a center to include fitness, workout rooms, childcare etc...

Why not just put a pool in the 24-Hour fitness center? We have pools we can use near by that don't charge a membership or raise our taxes? Golden Bell, Country Lodge, Green Mountain Falls and Manitou Springs. Two of which I know offer swimming lessons. We have to my knowledge 4 Gyms/Fitness centers. All of which seem to run fine without our tax money.

This is why I'm pissed off! The city wants to raise taxes to build an Aquatic Center, but we have one of the lowest paying police departments. The city want's to raise taxes for a swimming pool, but our ambulance department has to bill patients, because they don't receive enough taxes. Yes, they are privately owned and receiving tax money.

They just cut our bus's and combined routes. Some kids have to walk quite a distance to reach a bus stop and NOW the parents have to PAY for their children to ride the bus.

Sounds to me like the city wants to skimp on their responsibilities. If we already don't receive enough tax revenue to cover the expenses we already have why are we trying to tax more to cover entertainment?

I am not a business major, I just manage my own finances and it seems to me. You shouldn't spend money you don't have. When you do get money pay your bills before going out to play.

1 comment:

  1. I totally understand wher you are coming from, but seriously you have to pay for bus?

    ReplyDelete