Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Homeschool beginnings

 We are very close to beginning our first year of homeschooling. The books are ready, my lesson plans are done, we have filled out the "Notice of Intent", and families have been told.
  While,  I love the flexibility that homeschooling provides, I acknowledge that children do thrive with structure, knowing what comes next. We have decided to start the school year a week earlier then the school district here. In September, my husband is taking some vacation and we are planning on taking a couple days off to have fun. This feels right, spending his time off together. We have also decided that school will begin at 7:30am, no later then 8:00am. Continuing to wake up early will help with sleeping and allow us plenty of time to accomplish what we need to and still have time to have an outing. I plan on schooling roughly 4 hours each day, some days longer some shorter.
  I am very pleased with the curriculum we have chosen. If goes as follows;
  Math- Saxon, I chose this because of amazing reviews and my own personal experience with it. I love the repetition and easy to understand lessons. I am also excited how hands on it is and uses lots of manipulatives.
  English/Writing- Rod and Staff,  I chose this because I feel children are not taught how to properly write sentences, paragraphs and or use punctuation. This book starts with when to capitalize, use periods and ends with learning how to alphabetize. Again, the lessons are short, easy to understand and very well written. Handwriting, we are doing a penmanship course, mainly, because my son needs it.
  Reading/Phonics-Explode the code and Early Classics, C.J has already completed a hooked on phonics course with me so we are using Explode the Code books with great worksheets to reinforce the rules and exceptions. Early Classics are just that classic literature written at a 1st grade level. I am using this to introduce literature and help him work on reading fluency. Spelling- Christian Liberty Academy, great weekly lessons with additional weekly exercises using the week's words.
  History- World History Series, Science- Science Around the Year and Reading and Understand Science, We are using this particular History series because it teaches themes my son is interested (Greek Mythology and Egyptian Pyramids) at an age appropriate level. I feel he has spent the past two years learning how America was discovered and the first thanksgiving and nothing else. This history series has maps that go along with the lessons that the kids have to identify items on to learn about geography. Our science is really hands on with a TON of experiments. We are also integrating several field trips into our science.
 Music/Art/PE- C.J. will be learning how to read music and beginning piano on my key bored. I have played for several years and feel more then qualified to teach a beginner. I also have slowly been acquiring several other instruments for him to play with and use such as a triangle, tambourine, harmonica, Maracas, cymbals and a couple others. Art, will consist of me providing lots of materials and letting the kids discover different art supplies, color blends, textures etc... We also will be visiting a couple art galleries to learn art appreciation. For P.E. we will be physically active, this one is easy my kids are always go go go. We will be playing at parks, riding bikes, going to open gym, swimming, doing basketball and football. Honestly, he will get more physical activity than the kids in school. The district has a 40 min P.E. 6x a month. I know he will being getting an hour plus a day.

 Jasey, has shown a desire to do school, so I will get her a preschool book and let her practice printing and work on her letter recognition. I anticipate she will sit in on most of our lessons.

 So, this is my grand plan, I will let you know how things go and work out as we begin our journey.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment