Saturday, April 23, 2011

Cloth Diapers and Wasted Electricity.



When is comes to cloth diapers and waste, I was reminded, what about the electricity, used to power the washer and dryer? I would be using more of it, if I choose to use cloth diapers. Now I am not a mathematician nor due I understand electrical stuff very well, but I sought out the information, that in hopes will answer this question. I have found a very simple formula to figure Daily Kilowatt Hour Consumption (KWH) that formula can be found and the watts an appliance use can be found here.
To find the KWH simply plug in the numbers to the following formula.
Watt x Hours used per day/1000= Daily Kilowatt Hour Consumption.
I learned a clothes washer uses 350-500 watts per hour (I always use the highest number) I decided to use 2 hours as a cycle time. So...
500 x 2 hrs. per. day/1000= .1 KWH. In the previous blog on water waste I used 3 loads a week I will use that number here again. 1 x 3 loads per week x 4 weeks per month= 12 KW per month.
Using that same formula I plugged in the energy used if you have an electric dryer, as I have. A clothes Dryer uses 1800-5000 watts. I used 2 hours as drying time, and 3 loads per week. 5000 x 2 hr. per. day/1000= 10 KWH x 3 loads per wk. x 4 weeks a month= 120 KW per month.

To put this in perspective I figured how much electricity is wasted from leaving one flat screen on all night while you sleep. A Flat screen uses 120 watts. I am using 8 hours to represent a full night's sleep. So...
120x8 hours per day= 960/1000= .96 KWH x 7days per week= 6.72 x 4 weeks per month= 26.88 KW per month.

I have decided when using cloth diapers, I will air dry them. Outside in warm weather and inside in cool weather. So that will save my 120 KW per month on drying. On the energy used on the washer, I would use less then some one uses sleeping with the T.V. on. So you can see, people can choose to simply just live their lives differently and use close to the same amount of electricity.
Many Appliances continue to draw a small amount of power when they are switched "off." These "phantom loads" occur in most appliances that use electricity, such as VCRs, televisions, stereos, computers, and kitchen appliances. Most phantom loads will increase the appliance's energy consumption a few watt-hours. These loads can be avoided by unplugging the appliance or using a power strip and using the switch on the power strip to cut all power to the appliance.
So I conclude that if one sat down and figured out all the things we do to use electricity, using cloth diapers in reality uses a very small amount. Disposable diapers, which are made in factory's and then sold in stores, probably use a lot more. However I don't know what a diaper making machine is called, and thus couldn't find the watts used.

No comments:

Post a Comment