Monday, May 7, 2012

Schooling Part 4: What if he doesn't want to learn?

 The second biggest concern I hear is, What if he doesn't want to learn? I feel this isn't a home school concern rather than a teaching concern. I counter with " What guarantees he will learn at school?" Nothing.
 We place our children in the public school system with the belief that they are professionals, thus my child will learn. This is a very deep and complicated topic. First, what classes does a teacher take that prepares them to teach, UCCS, list all their required classes to obtain a teaching degree. Second, what is your child's learning style? How does the school teach? Rather then jumping onto another tangent let me list how I will encourage my child to learn.

1) Adaptation, I will be able to adapt the subjects and teach in accordance to my son's learning style.
2) Because we won't move ahead until a concept is grasped, there is no falling behind and thus no frustration or embarrassment from struggling.
3) We will be able to deviate and elaborate on subjects of interest for example;While painting for art, we discuss artist, then have an impromptu trip to an art museum.
4) I will have flexibility  to teach or not to teach, I'm not stuck in a 8-3 time frame. If he was up the previous night with nightmares= let him sleep 1 hour longer. Its the first sunny day in 2 weeks so we play outside= do school that evening. Thus, less cabin fever,less burnout, irritability, and stress.

 If by some off chance he absolutely refuses, and it becomes a battle of the wills. Then further behavior modifying actions will be taken.Keeping  in mind "battles of will" can occur over ANYTHING. This behavior is NOT a conclusive sign that the thing the battle is over, is wrong. However, he enjoys having fun and learning while doing so. I do not for see this being a problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment