Monday, September 27, 2010

Tradition

I am very proud to say that our young family does have many family traditions. I LOVE doing things as a family. I love seeing their faces as they do new things. So Halloween is on it's way and we decided this year will be the first year of a new family tradition. Because we feel our kids are finally old enough to Carve pumpkins and roast pumpkin seeds. I know we started early, but it had been eons since Chris and I had done this so we needed a trial run.

First we got all the guts out.


Then we transferred the stencil.


Or draw on the face.


Then we cut out the pieces, while others (cj) enthusiastically stabbed the pumpkin parts.



Ta-Da!!

This was the first time I had ever attempted to roast pumpkin seeds. So I went online and found an awesome recipe. First I washed all the pulp off the seeds, then I dried them with my hair drier and finally mixed them with the seasoning.
I used

4 tbsp Butter
2 tbsp Worcestershire
1 tbsp Garlic Salt

Then I placed them in my oven on a cookie sheet at 275 degrees for 10 minute increments, every time shifting them around, until dry. They are SO good.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like lots of fun! We are getting ready to do pumkin carving as well, but I have to say your kitchen is almost identical to mine lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fun! Annabelle is a little young to carve with me, but I have a pumpkin ready to start this tradition all on my own : ) What great memories these will be for you guys!

    ReplyDelete