Saturday, March 26, 2011

A Will.

I have put this off way to long, I have always though it can't happen to me. Up until very recently i have learned I am not the exception to bad things happening I am just young, not everything is going to happen right away.
I also have always been devoted to being a good parent. Putting the two and two together I'm more convinced then anything that my husband and I need a will. If something were to happen to us who would take care of our kids? Would the person raising them, take care of them the way I would? it is a horrible thing to think of, however having a will I am able to have more control of what happens to my kids if both my husband and I were to die.

Here are some key points I have learned.

1) A handwritten will with both your signatures is better than nothing. A lawyer will able to help you write it so nothing is disputed.

2) Find out the laws in your state regarding social security and your life insurance, some states you have to assign someone OVER 18 to help disperse funds. It doesn't just go to the person who is taking care of your kids.

3) Think about your wishes for your child about education, beliefs and so forth then talk with your spouse about who you know would be the best fit for your kids.

4) Last but not least make sure to ask that person before you leave your kids to them in a will.

More then anything try to find the legal documents online or go to prepaid legal, or find a lawyer who can help you sort everything out. Taking care of our kids doesn't end when we die.

1 comment:

  1. It's a really tough decision to make, isn't it? With Andrew being in the military, it was required that we make a will before he deployed, which of course was within ten days of Annabelle's birth. The question of who we would want to raise her if something happened to both of us was the last thing I wanted to consider in my blurry, love-drunk, sleep-deprived state, but it really is an important question!

    ReplyDelete