Friday, April 6, 2012

Easter=Learning

I seriously need to get some pictures up. However, I didn't take to many, I was needing both of my hands.

I love Easter. Such a learning experience. We read the directions. follow through with the directions using counting and measuring. Go over colors as we add the dye tablets. Cover cause and effect while talking about how boiling the egg changes the inside. My kids get to experiment learning that red,blue,purple and yellow make brown. My eldest who has had more experience with this, dunked blue and yellow to make green. To which little sis declared it to be magic. When all are dyed we use subtraction, counting how many we have left after we discard the cracked ones. Then place the dye in the sink add baking soda and voila finishing with flare.

Don't ever pass up teachable moments.

Here are a few other favorite teachable moments:

1)Counting/measuring=baking
2)Addition/subtraction=making a grocery list and shopping
3) Reading=everywhere ( I read to them and now my eldest can read the signs/labels to me)
4) Science=weather,insects,animals, and crafts
5) History= Library, public museums. (I like to add did you know statements to my kids for example, "Did you know a train used to go through town and that building used to be the train station?" Always sparks a conversation.

Take advantage of all the free community activities. Here we have free story time, a free play group, touch a truck day, 4th in the park, Critter fest (Animal rescue fair,but my kids love seeing the animals), churches often offer free egg hunts, craft fairs, VBS, Fall Festivals.

1 comment:

  1. You are such an awesome mom! I love "did you know" statements, too, but A may be a bit too young to appreciate my wisdom. I keep talking anyway;) I'm really interested to hear more on where you're at with your school decisions. You would be such an incredible homeschooler if you decided that was for you!

    ReplyDelete