Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Green Parenting Part 1

Parenting is like an amazing workout that is never done. While all the practice never makes perfect, it does make progress. As each of my children grow and mature, so do I as a person and parent.

1) We have chosen to rid our selves of plastic children's cups. One huge health factor was the BPA in the plastic. Two they just added to waste, my kids teethed early and would chew through the plastic mouth pieces. I do currently have three BPA free, Orthodontic approved, bottles which have been used only 3x so far.

2) We are using "Simply Hatched" an all natural baby body wash. Alex has VERY sensitive skin. So we are not polluting our water as much. I found it at Wal-Mart for about $4 a bottle.

3) Eating fresh is a big one. We use less energy because we are not using the microwave all the time and creating less waste as most non fresh items have a lot of packaging.

4) I am reusing 60% of C.J.'s baby clothes, and Jasey's older girl cousin gives us a TON of hand me downs. Saves money and reduces our carbon footprint :)

5) Tuning out, we are turning off the TV all day. I'll admit during my pregnancy and the 1st month of Alex's life, Jasey and C.J. watched more TV then I'm proud to admit.
Turning is off, reduces electricity consumption, reduces electricity bill and healthier for kids.

6) We are turning down our heat at night. Which actually has been shown to help kids sleep better.

7) Breastfeeding, saves on energy to heat water, waste from buying formula, plus has numerous health benefits.

There are a couple more, but they need their own post to get into detail. I will try to add pictures soon.

2 comments:

  1. "While all the practice never makes perfect, it does make progress." So, so true! It sounds like you're making tons of progress, too. Can't wait to learn more about how you're surviving while green, with three. I'm still trying my head around the idea of having two;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So proud of how far you have come, it's amazing to hear from others the changes they make for over all good!!

    ReplyDelete