Sunday, November 21, 2010

Tis the season...

I hear the parents talking about what they are buying, or how much they are spending. When did Christmas turn into a competition? Giving gifts isn't about who can buy the best one.

Giving your kids everything you never had, doesn't make you a better parent.

I feel disgusted at the shallowness suddenly surrounding me. The thanklessness, the attitudes, the greediness. I almost don't even want to do Christmas.

This is what I want my kids to LEARN:

1) No one owes you a gift, be thankful for everything.

2) Be thankful, because many kids don't get anything.

3) Be compassionate to the suffering of others and help out a person in need.

4) The best feeling is not receiving, but giving.

5) Life is more, than acquired objects.

6) Remember the true meaning of Christmas.

This is what I want my kids to REMEMBER:

1) Decorating the house as a family.

2) Watching Christmas shows together.

3) Baking cookies and listening to Christmas music.

4) Helping others.

5) Love, Family and Laughter.

6) Excitement of giving another person a gift.

We are doing so many things this year to enhance the Thanksgiving season, and I want to do the same for Christmas.

Mainly, I want to teach my children to love, Because love never fails.

2 comments:

  1. I agree, and I feel like I have been greedy, I proabably just feel like I missed out so many years, before last year, we didn't have a tree or even the means to make cookies, for a few years.. I didn't want to sound greedy, we don't go all out on gifts, but more all out on doing things together. And I do want my daughter to appreciate it, as after not having anything I surely do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed! The competitiveness is almost nauseating! Traditions like the ones you listed, listening to certain music together, decorating, etc, will surely be far more memorable than a heap of plastic junk and wrapping paper :) (Not that you would buy your kids junk!)

    ReplyDelete